The Green Otter's State of Garbelia is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by Lutra Otto with a fair hand, and renowned for its museums and concert halls, soft-spoken computers, and ban on automobiles. The compassionate, democratic population of 1.266 billion Garbeli are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The enormous, socially-minded, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Garvida. The average income tax rate is 92.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The thriving Garbelery economy, worth 128 trillion CryptoGarbels a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Trout Farming. Average income is an impressive 101,868 CryptoGarbels, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Seven-year-olds debate for weeks on the merits of the Oxford comma, prisoners regularly escape detention posing as scarecrows, shops were recently ransacked as cigarettes returned to the shelves, and the contraband cigarette trade is lighting up across Garbelia. Crime is totally unknown. Garbelia's national animal is the Otter, which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans, and its national religion is Lutrianism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, the contraband cigarette trade is lighting up across Garbelia.
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, shops were recently ransacked as cigarettes returned to the shelves.
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, prisoners regularly escape detention posing as scarecrows.
- : Garbelia voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Condemn Quebecshire".
- : Garbelia voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Protecting Convicted Voters".
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, seven-year-olds debate for weeks on the merits of the Oxford comma.
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, the nation has an international reputation for compassion.
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, every week is blindness awareness week.
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, mantis shrimp studies is academia's fastest-growing field.
- : Following new legislation in Garbelia, third party candidates are now gaining some representation in Parliament.
Endorsements Received: 76 » Effazio, Ownzone, Terrabod, Middle Barael, Ruinenlust, Frieden-und Freudenland, Lura, Ransium, Feladria, Cat-Herders United, Candlewhisper Archive, Atsvea, Canaltia, Love and Nature, Kawastyselir, Verdant Haven, Roless, The Void Territories, Litauengrad, Norginlajicratefe, Bananaistan, Blon Gre, The Black Forrest, Turbeaux, Blue Nagia, Ironic Remarks, Novian Republics, East Stederland, Artemis, Ziotah and Riverside, Uniania Geeth, Taco Respublic, Caterasia, Pen Blanityion, Bregaria, The Long Valley, Deontologia, Alcantaria, Chilledsville, Anachronolandia, Window Land, Aeterno Tranquillitas, Zinguanaville, Crowacia, Simbolon, Eryndlynd, Ashrah, Hyon Delta, Hoochlandia, Cuillin, and 26 others.The New Bluestocking Homeland, Entitize, Edible Plywood, Kepler-0085, Forgotten Beauty, Einswenn, The Cypher Nine, Dark Chocolate Enthusiasts, Ancorai, Uan aa Boa, The Fabulous Islands, Daarwyrth, New Ladavia, Zerkyr Xiszczy, Dasche, Gloomspick, Shalotte, Doxstern, Ordealius, Tscharva, McClandia Doge 2, Eaven, Jutsa, Democratic Republic of Cacusia, New Latin Locality, and The World Wildlife Fund.